Thursday, July 06, 2006

Birthday Girl

We met a little over a year ago in a local CD store. I was standing in an aisle trying to decide whether to buy the studio or live version of my favorite David Bowie album when out of nowhere the lights dimmed, the opening chords to Motley Crue's "Girls Girls Girls" started up and in she walked out of a ring of a fire.

All I thought to myself was, "That strange girl is singing along to the theme song from Saved By The Bell. And she looks like fun. And she is mildly attractive. And she has good taste in music."

Then Scarlett Johansson grabbed my ass, but I just ignored her.

Then a midget dressed in a pickle suit rode by on a pony and asked me where to buy little umbrellas for fruity drinks and I told him I loved him, but I was busy.

I said, "Hi. I don't know you, but I love you." She laughed and said she knew.

She was wearing a shirt with a picture of Charles Manson on it.

We chatted for a while. I asked her if she liked jumping off of rocks and she said of course. We made plans to jump off of rocks together. We never did. But we did everything else.

We've sat and talked over breakfasts, lunches and dinners. We've sat through hours worth of comfortable silences. We've gone on trips to islands and forests. We've gone on trips to nowhere and back. We've hitchhiked and we've driven. Maimed and killed.

We invaded Iraq together and then left a mess and blamed it on old Dubbya. Together.

I've made mistakes and we've fought. Even when it wasn't my fault, it was. I know I can't promise too much, but I can promise that even when I'm mad at her, I still love her.

Today, Jennine Nicole Banks turns 20. She barely looks 32.

I'll never admit it in public, but I'm probably a better person for knowing her. She's too smart for her own good and she knows it. She also tries to act too strong for her own good. She really is a marshmallow. She pretends she isn't, but she really does care. And love. And feel. She doesn't want people to see that side of her because everyone thinks she's too cool.

I love that side of her.

I wish you nothing but the best. I hope that when I'm 70 and you're 29, we can still sit and laugh at illegitimate children and White Ninja over plates of Waffles or Gelato.

I'm always here for you. Even when I'm not.

Happy Birthday

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm sorry, i just had really bad day. i had to pick up dorothy. let me tell you, my nana does not like me, and on the car ride over, she was quite open about what she thought of me and where my life was headed. so my fuse is even shorter (can you believe that?) than it usually is. but this blog made me feel better. that and the fact that ryan sabourin is the toughest guy i know and even he is afraid of 4 foot nothing dot. but you're right about everything being your fault even when it's not. i hope you're sorry.

12:48 AM  
Blogger Geoff said...

I've seen/talked to you since this, so all is well. Your sorry, I'm sorry. I actually wrote this before that talk, and almost didn't post it because of it, but like I said "even when I'm mad at you, I still love you"

I hope you had a good birthday. It looked like you were having fun. If you remember, lunch today.

12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home