Friday, July 15, 2005

Warped Tour '05

I figured I might as well write up a recap of the festival. I don't usually go to these sorts of things, but a friend of mine spoke my language and that language was "Free".

1:15 - We get there and start to mozy through the seemingly endless amount of kids with haircuts from, what looks like, the same drunk guy with scissors.

1:30 - Avenged Sevenfold: Only caught the last two songs, but they seemed alright from what little I saw.

1:45 - We find out that there is no beer garden. This starts two hours of bitching about anything possible. Warped Tour sucks.

2:30 - After walking around, seeing the sights and still bitching about the lack of beer, we get some food and sit in the sun.

3:00 - The Matches: One of only two bands that I actually wanted to go out of my way to see. Tara had spoken so highly of them for so long that I expected to be fully let down. Couldn't be further from the truth. No other word than amazing could sum up the concert. I owe Tara.

3:30 - Meet up with Michelle from Portland. Catch up for a bit and then we go our separate ways.

4:00 - Gym Class Heroes: One of the pleasant surprises of the day. A Rap BAND that was actually smart, articulate, funny and conscious.

5:00 - Matchbook Romance: I was always ho-hum about these guys, but they put on a great show. Shawn from The Matches came out to sing on the final song, the crowd was crazy.

5:30 - decide to walk around and kill time until Jennine's friends band plays at six. Run into an old friend. Realized why we don't talk anymore. Asshole.

6:00 - Remember August - They won a spot on the bill, they played the smallest stage and had one of the smallest crowds. I had very low expectations, but they rocked. I was extremely surprised and think that if these kids keep at it, they might just go somewhere.


6:30 - Alexisonfire: I have never really liked these guys. I'd see their videos and change the channel, but they put on one of the better 4 shows of the day. Very good show and very good crowd.

7:00 - Billy Talent : They sucked. Bad. So bad in fact that we left, and went and sat in the bleachers to take a rest.

8:00 - The Transplants: The only other band that I WANTED to see. They had one of the biggest crowds of the day and didn't disappoint at all. Near perfect performance. Travis Barker is a man among boys.

8:30 - My Chemical Romance: Another big surprise. I had only heard a couple of their songs before and expected to be unimpressed, almost simply for the fact that their core audience are teenage emo-losers. They rocked it out though. I hate to admit it, but I am a fan now.

(Sorry about the lack of detail for the shows, but I didn't want this to take 20 minutes to read, plus I'm bored).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home