Tuesday, March 29, 2005

The Prophet

On the urging of someone close to me, I've been reading a book called The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran these past few days. It is a little out of my comfort zone (religiously), but I found most of it compelling, enlightening and quite beautiful.

This passage is from "The Farwell,"

"It was but yesterday we met in a dream. You have sung to me in my aloneness, and I of your longings have built a tower in the sky. But now our sleep has fled and our dream is over, and it is no longer dawn.

The noontide is upon us and our half waking has turned to fuller day, and we must part. If in the twilight of memory we should meet once more, we shall speak again together and you shall sing to me a deeper song. And if our hands should meet in another dream, we shall build another tower in the sky."

1 Comments:

Blogger Darcy said...

I'm really glad you decided to pick up the book and read the whole thing. Describing it to someone is quite futile-the thoughts are too profound and beautiful to describe, so it's best to just read it and enjoy.
As for the religious aspect, I try to forget about that. But mostly, I try to forget about my preconceptions of religion, and simply enjoy it for what it is, regardless of the background of the words. I think we risk negating many of the things we assume we wouldn't like based on our preconceptions about them. Moral of this story, keep an open mind because you might miss out on something beautiful if you don't.

9:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home