Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Love Does Cost A Thing (PART 2)

Now, I know after my previous post I might seem wee bit cynical. However, that couldn't be further from the truth. I WANT believe in that Shakespearian ideal. I WANT to believe that love is like in the movies. I just can't. I see the 20 year olds with the old men, I see the way girls look at a nice sports car. Yes, not every girl is like that, but I ask all females what you would do if your boyfriend, husband, lover, etc. didn't get you anything for Valentines Day?? I hear you all saying that it is the meaning behind the gifts, the meaning behind the day that matters. I hear that; but again I ask you, what if your significant other simply came home and said, "Oh dear, I love you so much, I felt like I didn't need to get you anything," ?

.........

Yeah that's right dammit. You'd be pissed. I'm pretty sure that most boyfriends would have just dug themselves a hole to china right there.
That is because love fucking costs.



2 Comments:

Blogger Darcy said...

I totally sympathize with your concerns about this issue. The commodification of love and relationships is really quite sickening.
Perhaps though, you need to think about where this reaction that you used for an example is coming from. Maybe the reaction of dissappointment after not recieving some material gift on the romantic day is more a product of the built up anticipation and expectation created by the culture. This year, lets keep watch on the commercials that air as Valentine's Day approaches and see what messages are sent out to both women and men. I'm thinking that this is a big part of what you're talking about.
Also, another thing to consider is this. If one partner is going to be all upset about not getting anything for Valentine's Day, and the man would be effectively digging himself to China, then maybe we're not talking about "true love". Maybe I'm a hopeless romantic for thinking like this, but I would like to think that if I was in real true romantic love and my partner didn't get me anything, but just told me that he loved me, I don't think I would be mad. When I was in grade 12, my boyfriend didn't spend any money on me for Valentine's Day, but he did manage to touch my heart and find the true meaning in the day. Maybe I'm an exception to the general population, but I hope not.

6:01 PM  
Blogger Darcy said...

One more thing. I'm quite sure you've already thought about these things I just said, I just wanted to add a feminine persepctive to counter your male perspective. Naturally your thoughts reflected a male attitude, but for me it seemed almost anti-women, in regards to their reactions on Valentine's Day and expectactions about material goods in relationships.
C'est tout

6:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home